Thursday 13 April 2017

Tone on Tone Butterflies

I'm filling in today as Kate has decided not to return to the blog.  My friend loves butterflies - we made thousands for her wedding - so the new butterfly set from MFT was a timely release as its her birthday this month.  The new Beautiful Butterflies are a set of layering stamps so you can go crazy with lots of different shades and make thousands of combinations but I decided to go tone on tone with Altenew's Sea Shore inks.

As I'll be posting this I wanted something flat but wanted to suggest some movement in the butterflies and to make it a more interesting card than an bog standard one, so I decided to have them flying off into the distance.  I added a few tiny butterflies from Concord and 9th's Butterfly Beauty.



To get this effect I arranged my butterflies over the card base to see where they would overhang, stuck them to my large block and then inked them up and stamped them on an oversized sheet of card.  I added the layers of colour individually and finished each with a coat of clear wink of stella.  I then placed the base card over the card with the top left corner just covering the antenna on the top butterfly and drew around it lightly with pencil.  I cut the two edges with the butterflies with scissors and then trimmed the others with my trimmer and fixed it to the front of the card.

I added a few dots of liquid pearls to add to the feeling of movement and finished with a sentiment from Hero Arts Birthday Messages.

I'll be back on Sunday with my usual post and weekly run down - in the meantime enjoy your bank holiday tomorrow.

Tara



3 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful, Tara. The tone-on-tone butterflies are incredibly elegant and look so gorgeous flying off the card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you've captured the movement in this pretty card. It looks like I'm going to have to order those butterfly stamps now and I was trying to be good (it never works where craft purchases are concerned)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tara, this is so pretty. My favourite colours too. 'Tis gorgeous 😍

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team