Sunday 8 September 2019

Inspired by the Movies

I'm taking you to the cinema with my cards today - firstly we're off to see the wizard with the amazing new Halloween set from Colorado Craft Company - Witch's Monkeys...


If you've looked at that set and wondered where we get to the Wizard of Oz - then take a closer look at her crystal ball and you'll see Dorothy and a couple of her friends in it!     I was going to try and do the whole window scene from the film and pop a monkey in the window, but to be honest, I ran out of time this weekend (hence another late blog post!)  So I took the image I'd coloured ready to add the background to and just cut it out so I could make a more simple background - I've gone with just some patterned paper to look like wallpaper.  I simply coloured her with pencils - such fun colouring her stripey tights.  I added glossy accents to her glass and crystal ball and stamped the sentiment onto purple to tie it all together.

For my next card I did create a little scene and this time we're off to Hogwarts...


I started on some grey multi-media paper (it's my cardstock of choice at the moment for pencil, inking and watercolour as long as you don't over saturate it) and stamped the teacher from MFT's Favorite Teacher set. I did some selective inking as I didn't want him to be smiling nor did I want the book so I just wiped the ink off the elements I didn't want to stamp with a damp cotton bud before stamping him.  I coloured him with pencils in house colours and added in his scar and glasses and some lines to fill in the shirt where I removed the book and then tried to give him an determined mouth but it came out a bit wonky!   I covered him with masking paper and then drew some faint lines to create the lake and then stamped trees from Newton's Nooks Serene Silhouettes all over the background using a dark grey ink and allowed it to fully dry.  I then stamped the stag from the same set in unicorn white ink and embossed it with detail white powder and then repeated the process to get it good and thick.  I then stamped again but deliberately smudged it a little and used Lawn Fawn's Glow in the Dark powder to give the stag his ethereal glow and then stamped once more and added some sparkly snow glitter powder from WOW.

I used pencils to shade the beach and the hills and then stamped some stones onto the beach used the "snow spots" stamp in the serene silhouettes stamp set.  To create the lake I did a soft wash using the white paint from the Starry Colours paint set whilst the figure was still covered by the masking paper so I could just "swipe" straight across using a wide water colour brush.  I added some frosted lace stickles to the waters edge to add detail.

For the "patronus" coming from his wand, I just brushed on some unicorn ink with a watercolour brush and sued the sparkly snow glitter powder again to give it that glowy effect and then I hand wrote the spell with my Sketching Pen which will write over most colouring mediums so is great for filling in lost details as well as drawing and writing.

It's always fun when you can twist your stamps into something other than they were meant to be - I'm quite pleased with how my movie scene turned out - hope you'll give it a try!



NEWS FROM THE STORE

  • We've got some fun new products coming to store this week that should help turn your projects into gifts - watch the store for news.
  • We have the latest release and lots of restocks from Altenew in transit so they should be here this week.
  • The latest release from Reverse Confetti is also due this week.
  • The August Hero Arts Kit will be here this week too.
  • Our order for the Concord and 9th release which will go live in the States tomorrow is in, but they don't usually ship wholesale orders until a few days after they release so we're always about a week behind their release but it will be live as soon as we get it!
  • The big new release from Mama Elephant is next Sunday - we have it already so it will be live as soon as it goes live in the USA (assuming it's not whilst we're asleep, in which case as soon as we get up on Sunday morning!)
  • We have the latest releases from Flora and Fauna coming too - they are just waiting on delivery of a few items and hope to ship to us this week.
  • There are new releases from Sugar Pea Designs and Stamping Bella this month too - orders are in and they will be here later this month.

There is essential maintenance on the store this Friday so it will be off-line from 6pm and come back at some point on Saturday morning.

That's all I can think of for now.

Happy Crafting!

Tara




2 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team