Monday 1 July 2019

Sound the Alarm!!

I thought I'd try a 'new to me' design of card today using this great new car stamp from Avery Elle which is a fun accessory for the peek-a-boo pals stamp sets...



This is what I call a 'floating floor' card and is another easy way of making a pop up scene in your card. It's not my own idea and if you look on You Tube you will find a few tutorials on how to make them. I thought the design would work well for this dinosaur who is driving from the city to deliver birthday wishes..


I started with a regular card base and blended blue ink onto the inside top half for a sky. The floating floor is the same width as the card base and the length depends on how long you want the floor to be plus the depth of the float.... I went with 1cm depth plus a bit extra to join the floor to the card base.


I coloured and die cut the skyscrapers from Concord & 9th's City Stacks for the background scenery which is adhered flat to the top half of the card base. I coloured and die cut the car, dinosaur and accessories for both. I used masking to ink blend the road and grass verge on the floating base before cutting slits to insert the card strips through.


It's easier to then assemble the base and poke the scored card strips through the floor and attach them to the base.... all you have to do then is add your images to the pieces of card left sticking up out of the floating floor.


For clean lines I stamped and embossed the red light flashes and balloon strings on Heat Resistant acetate and trimmed them out so I could attach them almost invisibly.


I just added a small sentiment in the foreground leaving space for the 'to and from' part of the message. The card does shut but depending on the number of elements you use it may not stay closed so I made a belly band to slip around it...


I used patterned paper to cover the card base and then used Waffleflower dies to cut a white and red border speech bubble. I've used Mama Elephants Colour Me alphabet to create the siren's 'Nee-Naw' sound ( yes I checked the correct spelling 😉)... I love the font and think it carries the fun feel of the scene inside..


I'm really pleased with how this little scene came out, definitely worth watching a tutorial if you can although its not that hard to make without if not.... just a case of trial and error. The main thing to remember is making sure the pop up elements don't stick out of the card base when its closed... this will determine the shape and orientation of the card base and where elements are placed on the floating floor. Have fun with it, you'll love the result too 😊


   
 
 

Thank you for stopping by :)
Jenny x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team