Sunday 23 June 2019

Inky Backgrounds

Apologies for the late post today - we woke to an overnight dishwasher disaster all over the kitchen floor this morning so we've been mopping rather than crafting this morning!

I've been having a play with options for inking backgrounds today using a couple of different inks so you can see a little better how they compare.

Firstly - I made a run rainbow birthday card using Distress Oxides and layered some stamping over the top in the same ink colours.


I simply blended stripes down my top fold dove white card using Candied Apple, Spiced Marmelade, Mustard Seed, Twisted Citron, Mermaid Lagoon and Wilted Violet, blended each into the other in between.   I sprayed with water for a light mist and then added some larger drops of water for the oxidised effect.  I then stamped using the same inks filling the background with streamers and confetti from the very useful little Cheeky Birthday stamp from Hero Arts and finished with a stacked Big Happy Birthday die cut from Mama Elephant.

Then to compare the oxides to the new Reactive Inks from Hero Arts, I made a quick thank you card.  I picked 3 shades and did stripes again, starting with Fog, then Pool Party and Blue Raspberry at the top.  Again sprayed and splattered with water and left to dry.  These inks are a hybrid dye/pigment similar to oxides but without the oxide effect but they do still react with water so the look is similar.  I found them a bit wetter than an oxide and because of that found it a little easier to get a softer blend.  Less colours to choose from (15 currently whereas there are 60 oxides) but there are some shades that could fill gaps in between oxides if you want to use both together.


I turned it into card with the addition of a grey die cut hilly thanks from  Mama Elephant.

When I was cleaning my blending tools (I spray them with clean water and dry on kitchen paper) I noticed the colour looked pretty so decided to have a play, and managed a really quick watercolour style background for another card (I just grabbed a card not watercolour paper so it warped a bit but the effect would be awesome on the right cardstock)


The top here is the pool party shade, then Berry Smoothie and Thistle at the bottom - all just one dunk on the pad with the blender, sprayed with water, most of the colour dabbed off and a quick stroke across the card.  This time finished with the Hilly Hello die cut again from Mama Elephant this time cut from White Glitter card - Pixie Dust from Lawn Fawn.





NEWS FROM THE STORE

I'm still working on finishing adding all the new Hero Arts items - it takes around 10 minutes to load each item to store and I do it around packing orders which always get priority, and as we've got lots of other stuff going on which is taking me out of the office for meetings etc then I am just desperately playing catch up.  I'll get it done just as quickly as I can.

We're expecting the following deliveries this week:
  • Wplus9's new release plus restocks
  • Sugar Pea Designs latest release and "most" restocks but some wait listed items are on back order still as they haven't got them left in stock themselves.
  • Hopefully Altenews latest release plus restocks but I am still waiting on confirmation that they are ready to ship it.
  • Lil' Inker Designs have a new release this week but we are not able to order that in advance so will have that hopefully next week instead.
We will be closed on 3rd July for my Mum's funeral so nothing will ship that day and we will not be answering correspondence.  Thanks for your patience.

Tara






2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the comparison, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m waiting for my first six colors to arrive of the Hero Arts inks and did also order the hilly hello, I can easily case your cards when my order arrives :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team