Friday 1 February 2019

Felted Unicorn

I've been itching to make a plushie with the Neat & Tangled/Benzie unicorn die ever since we first got them but they sold out so fast I didn't manage to grab one but now they are back I bagged one and made my first toy with it.



We also got some new felt in stock recently from Sizzix, picked by them to work with their dies, but any of the dies we sell will cut it too (you might need a couple of passes in your machine for a clean cut) so I used 3 colours from their bold felt pack (we have pastels on back order) and just die cut all the pieces twice (4 times for the wings so I could have them on either side) so I could sew it all together to make a stuffed toy.

I did the decorative elements first - so stitched on the felt eye using a single french knot and then added a few sequins on his bum and wings for added detail.

I then sewed up the wings and tail and stuff them leaving the end of the tail open and unstuffed so it would easily fit into the body.  The mane was a little trickier - I used back stitch to hold each half in place on the respective side of the body, so it sort of becomes part of the body itself.



All that was left to do then is stitch all the pieces together using a simple blanket stitch with 3 strands of embroidery thread, switching from blue to yellow when I got to the main and leaving the ears unstitched.  I left the belly unstitched so I could add some toy stuffing- his legs were hard to stuff so in hindsight I should have stuffed those with bent pipe cleaners, but he came out OK for a first attempt - not sure he'd pass child safety tests but he is going to end up on on my spring wreath so he'll be fine amongst the pom poms.

Why not take a look at other dies you could sew together to make something a little different?

Catch you Sunday.

Tara



1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team