Friday 31 August 2018

A trio of Wreaths

Given my penchant for all things teal it probably comes as no surprise that the Eucalyptus Wreath from the latest Sugar Pea Designs release really spoke to me as it gives me an excuse to get my teal stuff out to play with!  So here I have 3 variations on a teal wreath:

First off I started with a really simple technique - this stamp has a real vintage style and lots of fine detail so the ink and water technique is a perfect way to treat it.



I just stamped it onto water colour card stock in Galactic Stream from Altenew's Sweet Dreams inks and then used a plain water brush to drag out some of the ink colour for a soft water colour feel.   I mounted it with a little glitter paper and finished with a friends sentiment over the middle as wreaths aren't just for Christmas!

Next I switched to water colouring proper using the new AlteNew paints for the first time and I have to say I think they are really good.  Super creamy and really intense pigments, you can get an almost gouache effect if you use them thick!


This time I embossed the wreath in silver and used just two colours of the paints to add shading to the leaves.  Finished with more glitter and a matching Merry Christmas sentiment and a few drops of pearls in a variety of greens and whites for berries (not that Eucalyptus has berries but in my world it can!)

Finally I decided to have a go at a vintage water colour feel to match the stamp.  I am NOT the worlds best with watercolour, but I am reasonably happy with the results.


I embossed in a teal powder this time and then sprayed my whole paper to get it very wet and then I used a mix of grey and teal to flood the background and in between the leaves (it is clearer irl but hard to photograph as its a bit dull here today)   I allowed that to dry then added more water to the leaves and did a softer looser version of my previous painting allowing the colours to run.  It needed a bit more contrast so I went back in with a darker greeny-teal in places.   I finished this time with some glitter berries and a sentiment stamped in the middle from Sugar Pea's Tinsel in a Tangle set.

Hope that inspires you to get your wreath on.

Catch you Sunday

Tara




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team