Saturday 27 August 2016

Vibrant Spring Card with Fall Florals

Aloha, crafty friends! I feel this card today is so tropical that I cannot use any other type of greeting. Despite, at the time I was making this card, being less than a month away from the first of my two moves (so this was early January), I decided to buy some of the My Favorite Things Dye inks which had just come to Seven Hills Crafts. And I was not disappointed – these dye inks area vibrant and give great coverage right away unlike the HA inks which get muted and need to smooth out, sometimes blurring finer details. Armed with these new inks I was finally motivated to use my My Favorite Things Fall Florals stamp set for a spring card (because at the time of making this card, spring was the season coming up :)


I started out by die cutting a panel from linen card stock and sponging on some Distress Ink in fresh colors, then spritzing it generously with my trusty water+Perfect Pearl solution to make the ink run and blend. I used my fingers to move it around even more – loved getting messy here :)


Stamping the floral images was fun, but fussy cutting them certainly wasn't. The downside of my Scan n Cut is that when you use light inks to stamp your images, it doesn't see them and therefore can't cut them. You can create cutting templates, but if you want a border around them, the minimum is 3mm and not 1mm as you'd get if you'd cut directly (and not from a saved shape). So, I might spring for the dies for this set after all.


Overall, I am happy with the card even if the fussy cutting did nothing for the state of my hands. But the new inks – so lush, so vibrant, and no longer anxious waiting to see how the stamped image would eventually turn out. Don't confuse the dye inks with the hybrid inks, though! The hybrid inks are much paler, and I wasn't happy with them (save for Licorice, my go-to black). So, if you want fresh, vibrant colors with great coverage, go for the dye inks!

Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. I love this card Julia! It's so vibrant and incredibly pretty. Fab inspiration. Great tip about the dye versus hybrid inks too, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team