Sunday 14 May 2017

A Bus and Ice-cream Snooker

Yep that's about as random a blog post title as you'll ever read but sometimes life is a bit random.  Let's address the ice-cream snooker shall we?  Living in Sheffield you can't avoid snooker, particular at this time of the year as when the championship comes to town giant snooker balls pop up all over the city centre and they are really shiny so when I saw the ball in the new Cool Treats set from Avery Elle my thoughts immediately went to shiny snooker balls!


I started with a 5 x 7 piece of thick white card and lightly drew a centre line down the middle to line up my balls and then set to work stamping my ball repeatedly in the relevant colours using pigment inks (in my case brilliance by tsukineko) and heat embossing each colour with clear embossing powder.   Make sure you stamp every ball the same way up so the light source is consistent.  I used an embossing pen to fill in the gap that the ball doesn't stamp and embossed that too so that when you create the green base the balls will keep the white flash to make them shiny.

Once all the stamping was done I just used Forest Glades ink cube from the Green Fields set by Altenew in a direct to paper technique all over and wiped the balls clean when I'd finished.  The table edge border was hand cut with a craft knife as I didn't have a big enough die to hand and coloured with a copic marker.


I really also wanted to play with the new Birthday Bus as it's just too cute!  I wanted to make it move so stamped it onto 300gsm card and rather than using the die fussy cut it so I could also cut out the windows for added realism.


To create the background scene I used some Lawn Fawn products - the Watercolor Wishes paper pad, the Road Border (the Simple Road border would be good for "over the hill" type cards too!) and the tree from Leafy Tree Backdrop die set.


To create the movement I used MFT's Surf & Turf dies but used a partial die-cutting technique to extend the bendy channel the full width of my card and to match the curve of the road - it's a little tricky but a bit of washi to hold it in place helps a lot and I finished the ends with my craft knife.  I secured a couple of slider elements behind the bus in the channel (at either end of the bus for stability) and stuck the whole panel onto a card with some foam tape.



NEWS FROM THE STORE

  • There is a new release from Mama Elephant tomorrow but our delivery has not yet arrived - we will get it live as soon as we can but are waiting to hear from them where it currently is.
  • We have some Hero Arts restocks and a few new items (the add-ons from last month's kit) so will have those online this week.
  • There is a big Lawn Fawn release on Thursday and we'll have that in store when they release.
  • We haven't got the new Newton's Nook release yet but will get it shortly.
  • We will get the Lil' Inker Designs mini-release with their next release which is pending in a couple of weeks.
Catch you later

Tara


2 comments:

  1. Super idea with the Snooker Card and I love this adorable bus Card!
    Thanks again for the voucher and the super quick delivery from my newest items.xxx
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab idea to use the ball as snooker balls! Very creative. The moving bus is awesome. Thanks for the release updates too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team