Sunday 25 June 2017

A Fuse Free Squidgy Card

Sometimes we see a new technique and can't wait to try it, but then realise it requires an expensive tool that we just can't justify for the number of times you know you won't do it!   For me that was wanting to add liquid to my cards to create squidgy shakers but I knew I wouldn't use a fuse tool more than a couple of times, so I figured out a way to do it without the tool and I'll you how......

The new Fish Tank die from Mama Elephant gave me the perfect opportunity to create a squidgy card and here's the finished example, paired with a coloured image and sentiment from Waffle Flower Crafts using their Birthday Fishes mini stamp.


What you need to create your squidgy part is really simple - a zip lock bag (just big enough to fit behind your die cut but ideally longer to keep the liquid away from the zip lock), some clear liquid hand soap and some strong glue with a narrow applicator.


For this version I die cut lots of little gold fish from the Mama Elephant Fish Tank die from some orange sequin material (you can buy the sheets of it) as its water proof.  It takes a few passes through the die cutter as its pretty tough but its great as you can essentially make your own sequin shapes with any dies you have.  I added a few pink star fish too.

Pop those into your zip log bag and add any other elements you like - sequins, beads etc - I used a little fine glitter in clear and blue.  Now add a few squirts of your liquid soap - DO NOT FILL THE BAG - you want just enough to give a squidgy area the size of your die but you need some empty space too.  Keep the soap clear of the zip lock element - if any gets on, wipe it off before the next step.

Use your glue (I used glossy accents as the long tip makes it easy to get it in the right place) to add a line of glue to the channel in the zip lock.  Squeeze out the excess air, but keep the soap at the bottom of the bag, then close the zip lock tight.  Allow to dry - keep the top of the bag upright so the soap can't run towards it until its dry - once dry you have a super tight seal which won't come undone - so you have a squidgy liquid you can add to the card with no fancy tools!

 

Whilst it was drying I worked on the rest of the card.  I die cut the fish tank on my top panel and drew around the hole on the base card with an embossing tool lightly so I could see where it would be.  I then added a couple of pieces of coral that I'd die cut and coloured with copics onto the base card so they would show behind the bag and look like they were inside the fish tank.


To secure it all in place I added a couple of strips of double sided tape under the bag at the top where it wouldn't be seen through the die cut hole.  Then I edged around it with 2 layers of foam tape to get it to the same thickness as the ziplock bag.


To finish the card I stamped the little fish balloon and sentiment and coloured with copics.  I embossed the larger tank around the die cut hole for added interest and edged the card with the darker orange marker.  A little double sided tape behind in the middle helps keep it all straight - remove the tape from that but leave the release tape on the foam layers and pull that off with tweezers once you know it's right.


Hope you give it a go!



NEWS FROM THE STORE

We will have the following arrivals in store this week:
  • Kuretake restocks
  • Sugar Pea Designs new release
There are some more new releases pending from Stamping Bella, Paper Smooches and all the usual brands that release monthly will start to come through in early July.  As ever Facebook is the place for your up-to-the-second arrival information.

WE CANNOT GIVE ETA'S ON INDIVIDUAL ITEMS - PLEASE USE THE OUT OF STOCK NOTIFICATION SYSTEM - it works we promise!
 

Catch you next week

Tara



7 comments:

  1. Oh, WOW, what a great and simple technique! Thank you so much for sharing with us! I will also trie this. Once more, your shop and Service is really great, danke Tara und Rick! Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome, Tara! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to try this - such a clever idea!
    Love your self made fish sequins!
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY cool. And clever. Makes me just want to touch it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how clever Tara! I can almost feel the squishy :) Wonderful idea, one to try in future :)

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, wow and WOW!!!! I have to try It...it's amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing technique and card❣️

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team