Tuesday 22 August 2017

Treasure Map Fold Out Card

Today I'm sharing a treasure map card, that opens out to reveal a scene with the treasure inside. 


I began with a piece of white card, measuring 8 1/2 inches wide by 5 1/2 inches tall. I then scored two vertical lines at 2 1/8 in on both sides of the width of the card. This creates an area in the middle that's 4 1/4 inches, with two sides that fold in.

Front of the card:
For the treasure map on the front, I cut a piece of watercolour card to 4 1/4 by 5 1/4 inches. I used my zig clean colour real brush pens and a water brush to create a watercolour map, freehand painting two islands. To keep the colours soft, I scribbled the zig markers first on to an acrylic block, then used the water brush to add the colours to the card. 


I then added some water to the edges and tore the card stock for a jagged edge all around it. I blended on some dark brown ink around the edges to make it look more aged. Once this piece was dry, I added stamped wave details, the compass, and the 'X marks the spot'. 

I stamped, coloured and cut out lots of images from the Lawn Fawn Ahoy Matey and Lawn Fawn Duh Nuh stamp sets, and added some elements to the map. Then I drew a red marker dotted line from the ship to the X. 


Once the map was finished, I cut it in half and attached it to the folding card base.

Inside the card:
It's best to avoid too many layers inside the card and to keep them slightly away from the scored line edges, so it folds shut nicely. 

I cut a Lawn Fawn stitched hillside from kraft card. On some white card. I blended on salty ocean distress ink, spritzed it with water for texture, then cut it with the MFT ocean waves borders.


Before layering these onto the card, I added some cloud detail directly to the card base with the MFT mini clouds stencil and tumbled glass distress ink. 

I adhered the Ahoy Matey images and a shark from the Duh Nuh stamp set, then finished the card with a vellum Lawn Fawn Bannertastic banner and a heat embossed glitter sentiment. 

Finishing touches:
To help keep the card closed, I cut a vellum belt to go around the card. I heat embossed a greeting on it too, for a fun finishing touch.


For the message to the recipient, add a stitched rectangle panel on the back so that when the message is written, it won't show through to the inside. 


Thanks for joining me today,
Gemma





2 comments:

  1. So clever and creative and what a fun card and all finished off beautifully with the vellum band x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team