Thursday 31 August 2017

Yee Haw! Leather Effect Kitty Card

Hi everyone, Taheerah here wishing you a happy Thursday!

I'm always on the lookout for new-to-me techniques! They're a great way to build up your 'techniques toolbox' and get out of a creative rut. So when I recently learned a technique to create a leather-like look on a card, I couldn't wait to try it!

I'd been waiting for an excuse to play with the Newton's Nook Newton Rides West stamp set. This set seemed perfect for masculine cards. Paired with the new technique I learned, I came up with this:


Fun, right?! I love that leather effect, it really is a very convincing look!


I achieved the effect by spraying my cardstock heavily with a mixture of water and glycerine, scrunching up the cardstock, and repeating. I dried the cardstock with my heat tool because I'm impatient! Once dry, I blended some ink over the panel so that the cracks and creases were more pronounced. Love this look!


The cardstock can still be stamped on like normal but you might need a bit more effort to stamp evenly over the creases, so my Newton was stamped using a stamp positioner for accuracy. I was happy to leave the image uncoloured, apart from a little shading with a coloured pencil for some authenticity!


I repeated the leather effect technique with a second piece of cardstock and die cut the letters for my sentiment from it. The WPlus9 Folk Art Alphabet die actually works perfectly for a 'Wanted' poster-style look! Some dimensional glue to add the letters and the wood veneer stars and I was all done!

I'd love to hear what you think of this card. Is there someone you know who'd love to receive it? Thanks for stopping by!





3 comments:

  1. What a fun card! Thanks for sharing the leather look technique - I must try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great technique and perfect for the stamps and your gorgeous card x

    ReplyDelete
  3. really cool effect, and a great new technique to try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team