Thursday 25 April 2019

Gnomes go Swimming

Sometimes my brain goes on a tangent when I sleep, and the other day I woke up with this idea in my head so had to create this scene using a mix of stamps from Stamping Bella.  I imagined that someone had left a cup of coffee at the bottom of the garden and the gnomes were like - woohoo - heated pool!   (Yes I need to get out more!)


 It's a one layer card, so I did a little masking to get all my characters in place.  I forget how useful masking is as a technique and must do it more.   Just remember to start at the front and work your way to the back.


Here I stamped the smiling gnome from Gnomes Have Feelings Too, and then stamped him again onto post it tape and cut him out to create my mask.  Once that was in place I stamped the Swimming Gnomes over the top and again masked those off (my tape wasn't wide enough but that doesn't matter as the background stamp won't touch the bottom of the cup).  Finally I stamped the Gnome Background stamp over both masks - and as my card is wider that the stamp and split it to get a wider image - I just inked up one half and stamped that, then inked up the other half and drew a line to join them up in the middle where the gap is.

I love taking the masks off and seeing the magic of the scene revealed.


From that point on it was just a case of sitting watching TV and colouring it all in.  I used my polychromos pencils and sansoder with blending stumps to colour it all in.  I like using pencils on one layer cards as it doesn't bleed onto the inside - blending out with stumps and a solvent gives a smoother look and is particularly useful for large background areas like the sky and path.  I used the same on the smaller images like the toadstools but then added more solid detail over the top.



If you've not tried masking to create a scene I hope this will encourage you to give it a go.

Tara




1 comment:

  1. EEEP!
    How cute is this?! I love it!
    I'm going to share in the Coffee Loving Papercrafters FB group!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team