Sunday 5 June 2016

Building Houses


When I saw the Make Yourself at Home stamp set from MFT I thought it would be great for making new home cards, although there isn't a sentiment to go with that idea in the set, sometimes that's where I find the fun in crafting and using sets for something the designer didn't envisage.  With the addition of the Classic Window and the Brick Wall Cover-Up dies you can make a house and furnish the inside ;-)

I started with an A3 sheet of brown kraft card and cut it down to 18cm across the long length to get the height of my house before scoring at 12, 20, 32 and 40 cm to get the 4 walls plus a little left over to create a closing flap. You could use a sheet of 12x12 and create a slightly smaller house if you don't have large sheets of card.   I used the brick wall die to create a stencil from a scrap of the off cut card and used distress ink a blending tool to create the outer walls. I added the classic window die - I had to trim the centre from the kraft card by hand as I'd made my house too big to fit my die cutter - doh!   The new home sentiment was created using Owen's Alphabet from Lawn Fawn as it reminded me a little of those number tiles you see on house.   I created the roof with just a couple of scraps of grey card which I embosses some lines in using my score board and a ball tool.


Now comes the fun part - interior decorating!


I added a wooden floor with some wooden paper (our wooden veneers would be too thick and heavy) and selected an old 12x12 paper to make my wallpaper - make sure you line it up on each wall so it looks realistic.  I added another window on the inside to match the outer and added some green curtains.  A neat trick you can do with the curtains in the window die is once you die cut them, swap them over and put them back in the opposite die and that way you get the impression lines on both sides of your card so you see them through the window from the outside too.  You could add acetate to the window but I wanted people to be able to poke their fingers inside!

I stamped the furniture and coloured with copics and fussy cut as I didn't want the white lines as it would spoil the realism.  For the rug I used the die that would match the stamped image but just cut it from some patterned paper to get a patterned rug.  The mirror is made using the stamp on wood with the centre cut out and stuck over some mirri card.

You could go to town with this set and some empty shoe boxes and make DIY dolls houses for kids too - there are endless possibilities. 




If 3D is not your thing, then I have a more simple project this week too - a wild birthday card.


I love the animals in Avery Elle's new Wild Birthday set and wanted to get them all on a card at once so decided they'd been climbing the vines to create an animal tower!  Simple masking makes creating a stack really easy and then I just cut them out keeping a little white border like a die cut would have.  The vines were created using Paper Smooches Foliage 2  Having the scene flowing out of the frame and keeping the design to one side is a neat trick for adding impact on a CAS card.


NEWS FROM THE STORE

It's going to be a BIG week around here this week.   We will have:

  • Waffle Flower's latest two releases and restocks tomorrow
  • Wplus9 is in transit and I hope to have it by Tuesday
  • MFT's new release early on Wednesday morning
  • Altenew's Latest release as FINALLY shipped so providing there are no customs issues again we should have that this week too.
  • Reverse Confetti and Lil' Inker Designs latest release are on order and should ship this week too.
  • Concord and 9th's latest release plus restocks (including the scripty fonts) should ship by the end of the week for arrival the week after along with the Mama Elephant new release on the 15th.
  • We are still waiting for Hero Arts to reach the UK - the distributor has now updated the expected delivery from "May" to "mid_June"

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous little house Tara!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two lovely projects again this week and I am super excited about all the expected new arrivals too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow that house is amazing! You are so inventive!! Thanks for all the updates :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that cute wild animal card and can't wait to see what goodies are added to the shop this week :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team