Monday 13 June 2016

Spotlighting a Background

Good Monday morning

Do you like background stamps?... I do, I love them for adding subtle patterns to card bases with tone on tone colours, small geometric patterns and that type of design so I was most surprised that I was drawn to the Bundles of Blossoms background from MFT's latest release. It has lots of detail but would still easily melt into the background with the right colour ink... but I thought I'd make these whimsy flowers the feature on my card instead..


The thin lines and busy pattern lends itself to simple colouring as well as more detailed shading so I stamped the background out and die cut a circle of the pattern and started colouring with my pencils.


When I'd finished I stamped the background again, I matched up the coloured circle of pattern on top so I could work out where to cut a slightly smaller circle in the black & white panel. Once I'd done that, I lined the pattern up behind the b&w piece and used low tack tape to hold it in place so I could trim to size and then adhere it to my card base.... the top layer is mounted on foam tape. I added a die-cut 'hello' from Paper Smooches which has had a liberal application of shimmer from a black wink of stella pen which I also used in various spots on the coloured piece too.

                


To simplify the spotlight design you could adhere the coloured circle above the b&w panel .... or for a one layer card just inlay the die-cut circle back into the original patterned panel.

Thanks for stopping by, see you next week :)
Jenny x

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea and I just happen to have bought the same stamp last week, so I shall be trying this out soon. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team