Monday 25 March 2019

Happy Cake Day!

Have you got your sunglasses handy this morning??
I decided to have a play with the Bokeh stencils from Newtons Nook to make 
a striking background for this stylised birthday cake... I think they go rather well together!


I started by blending Milled Lavender, Dusty Concord and Seedless Preserves 
Distress Oxide inks onto a panel of Bristol card to make an ombre effect. 
The stencils are numbered one and two and are etched with each others pattern to help 
you line them up for the best layering effect.


I sponged the same three distress colours through the stencils, making sure I had a mixture 
of lighter and darker dots all over the card. The great thing about the Oxide inks is that the 
lighter colours do show on the darker ones albeit a muted tone... I also added some white 
pigment ink to tone down the darker dots. I think these stencils give an amazing 3D effect.

With a background like that the cake just needed to be white so I layered up the pieces and 
added a sentiment on a hand cut banner which was too deep to sit across the cake stand!
I remedied that by making a cut across the stand and moving the lower half down...
 the banner hides the gap and you'd never know it wasn't meant to be that tall 😉




    

Thanks for stopping by :)
Jenny x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team