Friday 15 April 2016

No line watercolouring with Mama Elephant.

Hi everybody,

Jill here, and this week, I'm attempting some no line water-colouring...


...using the oh-so-sweet 'Spring Garden' set from Mama Elephant.


Now I am well aware I ain't no Kristina Werner over here haha - but I had loads of fun doing it, and am going to have loads more fun practising, so I thought why not share my efforts and learning curve?


I used Distress Inks as my watercolour medium.  I stamped this gorgeous little gal and guy out from Spring Garden, in Antique Linen, so it was a really light line, then proceeded to watercolour.  I love the kind of whimsical look of watercolour, and thought it would work perfect with this set as there's a lot of open space to play around with.  I also love that because watercolour can look so calm and laid-back, it can be really forgiven when colouring, and even when it doesn't turn out 'quite' as you planned...it looks like you meant it that way...or so I hope!  Once my characters were dry, I fussy cut them and set aside while i got on with the rest of my card.
To create my background, I die-cut a mask using Lawn Fawn's Grassy Border, and also Mama Elephant's Landscape Trio Creative Cuts die.  I placed them over a piece of watercolour card and washed more Distress Ink over the top, creating my grass and sky.
I then die-cut Mama Elephant's Picket Fence and again, washed using Distress Ink.


I coloured a few of the cute little blooms from the same Spring Garden set, coloured and fussy-cut them to use to help build up my background.
I stamped out my sentiment, (which I LOVE and can see me using sooooo much.  I call everybody sunshine, and just love the cool fun look to it - an awesome addition to an awesome set!), directly onto my background, clear heat embossed, then coloured the hollows of the 'sunshine' to help make it pop.
I built up my background and adhered my characters in place using foam adhesive.  I mounted my panel, off-centre, onto a piece of slate grey card, then onto my card blank, and that was that.
Like I say, I love the simplicity of watercolour, so didn't want to add any embellishments.

I know I need a lot of practise, but the process is so relaxing, I really enjoyed making this; and I know it can be quite intimidating when you feel the skill-set is not 'quite' there, but so what, we're meant to be having fun, right?
I really hope you like it, and I really hope you give it a go.  Let's learn together :)

See you next time.

Jillx

2 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said...let's have together! The sweetest of card, loving the loose and fun water colouring you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a fabulous job Jill, cute card :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team